Monday, November 26, 2012

2nd Layer, Shadow Sites

Serendipity is the name of this game. Last week during a parent-teacher conference, a parent brought in a painting her son wanted to show me. There was a kind of puffy paint on it and I asked the mother what it was and she told me it was a mixture of white glue, shaving cream, and food color. What? Jump in with two feet, don't even look where you will land. Monday rolled around and I mixed up a batch right away. Not knowing the ratio of glue to shaving cream wouldn't be the thing to stop anyone would it? Since we are working on shadows for our Al-Ani Shadow Site studies, I used black tempera instead of food color.

I bought a batch of palette knives earlier in the summer, so the children were all set to for spreading this thick substance. They used forks and potato mashers for the lines and ridges. So cool!

The first layer of this work is discussed here, Encaustic Preschool Style. These are not done! There will be more. If you visit the Shadow Sites at the Sackler, I think you will see where we are headed next.










No comments:

Post a Comment